17 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
As we all know it is getting harder and harder to find game staff and with the closing of MudMagic we now only have 2 mud specific boards to spruik out wares on, so i have tried my luck further afield and posted on a number of general game development, MMO and RPG sites that have sections for staff advertising.

My summery stats report for the 15 sites i have posted to are 900 add views, 4 applications and 12 shows of interest in the project in 24 hours. Compared to 29 views on TMS and unknown on TMC with no responses.

Overall i would call this a success, i think i could achieve a better response rate by using a better title and targeting specific elements on different sites rather than the generic advert that i used on all the boards. I also think that this same strategy could be used to get new players into our games, the main downfall is that it is time intensive to do the posting and the required followups.
17 Sep, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 2nd comment:
TMC has been dead in the water lately. What positions were you trying to fill?
17 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
How many people who have responded to an ad of you looking for admins have you actually hired, and how many of those have actually done work months after being hired?
17 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
How many people who have responded to an ad of you looking for admins have you actually hired, and how many of those have actually done work months after being hired?

I have hired 1 builder of the 4 who have applied, as for the 2nd part of your question i will let you know in a month or 3.

Sandi said:
TMC has been dead in the water lately. What positions were you trying to fill?

Builder/Writer and Graphic Artist. I have a couple of artists to talk to today from an art site i posted on as well, their folio's look rather good.
18 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks.

Because every single builder who I've hired outside of my MUD (who has never played my MUD) has never finished a single area (and no longer signed back on after a period of time). I stopped advertising for builders on TMC a long time ago.
18 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 6th comment:
Zeno said:
Thanks.

Because every single builder who I've hired outside of my MUD (who has never played my MUD) has never finished a single area (and no longer signed back on after a period of time). I stopped advertising for builders on TMC a long time ago.

I agree with you that the builders who start as players typically will be much more successful and complete their projects as they have invested their time and interest in your project already and want to see it advance further and feel that they have something to contribute.

Being in development does not allow me the luxury of having players who have come through the ranks and want to give something back. Also with the current development pool seeming to get smaller and smaller all the time, i have no option but to either build it all myself ( and most of you know how literate i can not be) or too look outside the mud community for people who may find the game idea interesting and want to contribute something, even if it does not mean they Finnish an area.

With the completion of the 1 main area i would be in a position to start some proper p-testing, which might give me a greater pool of talent to draw from to design and build a bunch of instances.
0.0/6