16 Sep, 2008, darkoth wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Skol said:
Naw, it'd be great to have it in different locations if Dark's up for it.

I'm up for it as long as I know where it is all being mirrored. I'm honestly quite surprised no one wants to just grab the code, and load it into their fancy DB, like Davion's got going here. *whistles* nice site you've got here btw Davion… I believe I talked with you back in 2003 in regards to your p_alias_trigger code… lol. can't remember what it was about but I remember you used a hotmail email address. :)
16 Sep, 2008, darkoth wrote in the 82nd comment:
Skol said:
remember the builder 'Lok'? Did shielding, pirate isles, freeport, camelot etc? _please_ tell me that's not Loc ke? If you know that is heh. Always enjoyed his areas.

Yes I do remember Lok. He used to build on my old MUD… heh. I don't believe Locke is the same as Lok.
16 Sep, 2008, Davion wrote in the 83rd comment:
I did! It was oh so long ago :P. And thanks for the compliments! We worked hard on'er! As soon as I finish integrating our place with MudMagic's old repository I'll get right on it!
16 Sep, 2008, Skol wrote in the 84th comment:
I think there's something nostalgic about having the 96' website feel with mud code/areas, you know the guy running it cares about things at least as much as you do. Kind of like looking through someone's bookshelf heh.
16 Sep, 2008, Skol wrote in the 85th comment:
Btw, 'WHEW' on Lok.
He'd given one of our imps Camelot, Freeport, Pirate Isles (maybe a couple more?) ages ago. If you can still find him, they're great additions to any stock Rom if he wants to make them available (I have them, just I hadn't seen them out in the open web so to speak). If I remember right, pirate isles was even still in Merc, pre-Rom.
16 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 86th comment:
darkoth said:
I believe I talked with you back in 2003 in regards to your p_alias_trigger code… lol. can't remember what it was about but I remember you used a hotmail email address. :)

That alias trigger code is probably one of the most useful pieces of code ever!

Ok, that might be a bit of hyperbole, but seriously, I've gotten a TON of use out of it.
16 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 87th comment:
alias trigger code?
16 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 88th comment:
Skol said:
Btw, 'WHEW' on Lok.
He'd given one of our imps Camelot, Freeport, Pirate Isles (maybe a couple more?) ages ago. If you can still find him, they're great additions to any stock Rom if he wants to make them available (I have them, just I hadn't seen them out in the open web so to speak). If I remember right, pirate isles was even still in Merc, pre-Rom.

Freeport at least is in several codebases. I know Sacred has it as a stock area, and I believe I've seen it in other ROM derivatives as well.
16 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 89th comment:
There's a Smaug port of Freeport somewhere as well I believe.
16 Sep, 2008, Skol wrote in the 90th comment:
Yeah, Freeport is the one you'll see most often, rarely it seems isles.are or camelot.are (though other people's camelot's are out there). I just found them fun and pretty well thought out when I started building ages ago ;)
But yeah, if I do open up a Rom 'areas' site (or tack it on Ansalon) I wanted to put those up, just wanted to make sure it was ok with Lok.
16 Sep, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 91st comment:
I'm with you on that, Skol. We have Camelot, Freeport, Seas of the Lords, The Pirate Lords, and the Faerie Ring in our game. Given the notes he wrote in some of them on how they work, I'd say he meant for them to be distributed. We got several of them from ROMLama.
16 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 92nd comment:
Fizban said:
alias trigger code?

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
16 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 93rd comment:
Ahh, looks to be identical (in use not code) to DG's Command Type.

ie:

Name: 'Touch Mirror'
Trigger Intended Assignment: Rooms
Trigger Type: Command , Numeric Arg: 100, Arg list: touch
Commands:
if 'mirror /= '%arg%
%send% %actor% As you touch the mirror you feel an odd gut wrenching sensation and find yourself elsewhere.
%echoaround% %actor% %actor.name% touches the mirror and disappears from existence.
%teleport% %actor% 456
%force% %actor% look
else
return 0
end

When they type touch mirror they get messages, everyone in the room but them gets another, they get teleported then they are forced to see the new room. The return 0 makes the command continue to the mud as usual if the %arg% (everything after the first word, think argument in c terms ) is not a substring of mirror.
16 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 94th comment:
Haven't command progs been around in SMAUG for quite a while now too?
16 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 95th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Haven't command progs been around in SMAUG for quite a while now too?

They weren't last time I worked on a SMAUG, but then again…that was in the 90's.
16 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 96th comment:
They were never in Smaug 1.4, but they were in one of the SWR versions. I don't know about Smaug 1.8.
16 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 97th comment:
Hmm, I guess one of the coders before me added it to Darkstone from a snippet or something. (I took on the coding in 2001.) I kind of assumed it had been around in the stock bases as well given how useful it is for adding depth to an area.
16 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 98th comment:
I'd have to fiddle with it and look in the code but I think FUSS has support for this with 1.8+.
16 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 99th comment:
It's in RoD, so it's in 1.8 probably.
17 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 100th comment:
Fizban said:
Ahh, looks to be identical (in use not code) to DG's Command Type.

ie:

Name: 'Touch Mirror'
Trigger Intended Assignment: Rooms
Trigger Type: Command , Numeric Arg: 100, Arg list: touch
Commands:
if 'mirror /= '%arg%
%send% %actor% As you touch the mirror you feel an odd gut wrenching sensation and find yourself elsewhere.
%echoaround% %actor% %actor.name% touches the mirror and disappears from existence.
%teleport% %actor% 456
%force% %actor% look
else
return 0
end

When they type touch mirror they get messages, everyone in the room but them gets another, they get teleported then they are forced to see the new room. The return 0 makes the command continue to the mud as usual if the %arg% (everything after the first word, think argument in c terms ) is not a substring of mirror.

I'm not sure if that extends to any command or just touch, but what I've expanded the alias snippet to do is allow us to attach a program to any possible input into the game that we want. If we want something different to open when someone tries to open a door, or when they try to scan, or when they do any number of things that aren't actual commands, we can make it fire off of that. I don't recall how all we've expanded it, I believe by default its limited to rooms and objects, with objects being the only target, but I know that we have it to where it works with room progs, obj progs, mob progs, and both objects and mobs can be the target, along with having no target at all, and some variations on the object part of it includes allowing any instance of it working, or limited to just objects you are carrying, wearing, have in your inventory, or that is in the room.

Sure, stock progs are a bit limited, but with a little bit of modification (this snippet being one of the key modifications) it can allow you to do virtually anything. Literally, there's nothing that I've considered trying to do with our progs in their current state that I've been unable to accomplish.

Edited to add:

100!
Random Picks
80.0/120