10 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
MudRage aka MudMagic-

"Machar" started a thread in General on MudRage:
Hi. Been trying to download MudRage-1_9.zip - specifically this version in order to run it from a memory stick - but getting a 404 error from the MudRage site. Can anyone point me to a mirror site or any suitable alternative, please?

I've been out of the MUD scene for a while so I'm hoping there's a decent portable client somewhere, but haven't found it yet…

Thanks

I replied:
Almost any client can be portable.
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...

Kyndig wrote:
sorry for downtime. the website experienced some DDOS. I don't have the time to focus on 'fixing' the firewall, or even fixing the software on the server. I expect to be shutting down the text game community by weeks end. Sorry folks, but not interested in goin through this mess again.

Have fun gaming!

Fizban wrote:
Just assuring I'm reading that right. Instead of all the planned changes you're closing mudrage.com and only continuing the hosting at all?

Kyndig wrote:
I don't own hosting, or have anything to do with it. That is run by the ex, and has been for the past 4 years. I am shutting down _my_ website. What hosting does is up to them. I am so uninterested in mean folks. wow even after 2 years you guys are at it. wow

You won't be able to access this website in about an hour though. Seems to happen every time I reply to a message on a forum post. I have already moved my other websites to a managed server. When this one goes down again because of some jerk, it will not come back online. Have fun!

Fizban wrote:
Huh? Mean? I was disappointed, but not mad. I'm not blaming you. I'm just confused. Ex? I thought you and Jaelli were happily married.
10 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sure seems so. And it saddens me, a lot. Was I ever the best of friends with Kyndig? No, honestly, I was not. I also understand the implications this will have on the entire community, 4 Dimensions got most of its new players from residing as the #1 Listed MUD in the Top Rated Category and I have had over 3,000 downloads of the tbaMUD Releases I've uploaded there. I had just started thinking maybe the site was heading in the right direction as he recently mentioned looking for a manager to run the site and had started allowing people to be moderators of the code repository again. (I had asked to be the Moderator of the CircleMUD branch months ago and was told no moderators were being accepted for any branches and then 2 weeks ago he sent me an email that I was the moderator of the branch.)
10 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Btw they haven't been married for a bit now. Someone mentioned it on imc recently.

Anyone have the talent to write a spider in 30min to grab all the snippets? :P

Oh and after the split, I personally thought it would not go well. No longer hosting people means the site no longer had a "requirement" to stay up.
10 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 4th comment:
Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've been around a while, and in my experience, the people who say

OMG mudding has ground me to nothingness I am leaving FOREVAR!

Somehow never go through with it. Note in particular that leaving forever
is something Kyndig has explicitly said he'd do in the past.

He'll get over whatever is bothering him, and he'll be back. It could be
invisible…he could just be behind some new initiative to make mudmagic
a full-fledged portal. But something tells me this drama doesn't
signify an actual departure.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
10 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
More:

Kyndig:
heh nothin 'gainst you bud. Talkin 'bout the other jerks. Cratylus, Drizzt, Samson, Zeno ( yes, you Zeno - I know exactly what you hackorz ), the standard IMC'ers I think they are. Buncha knuckleheads that ruin it for the masses in general. Luckily I took lessons learned on my other community portal and have a nifty ignore filter and parental block-content filter. Thus far it seems to be turning a decent buck, and I'm developing a new hosting service for other clients. Albeit, it's WoW focused, but hey..if you can't beat 'em ….find a new hobby Wink

Sorry again Fiz and all you quiet text game enthusiasts, I sincerely apologize. But I just can't put up with these cats and their drama. I'd post the log of the DDOS for a 'beware', but I honestly want you folks to get whatever you can off the site before I shut it down. SO, please review the repository for any snippets. Grab it now!

This is the kinda stupid stuff that just has me shaking my head:
http://mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cg...
(quoted thread)
GET OVER YOURSELVES. Let that poor man enjoy his hobby you bunch of self-righteous jerks. Wow

Best of luck to you MudGamer! But now that I did that, prepare for DDOS and a slew of email drama (word to the wise: ignore the emails, and just develop your site - this text gamer community is abit elitist and don't like to see new things – or if they like it, and you ignore them..heh, you're a nazi! wow)

Fizban:
Kyndig… I am Drizzt. I posted that after your reply here. Look on TMC's General Discussion Board and you'll see I also posted a new thread stating seeing MudRage close saddened me. I won't lie, Ididn't, and don't agree with some of the bannings a few years back but I don't hold grudges and I don't wish you anything but the best of luck in all of your endeavors.

Me:
This is a joke right? "hackorz"?

I've never caused harm to any MUD or community site, never even had the thought.

Kyndig:
And while I am Drizzt, I have never even used IMC nor have I badmouthed you.

Fair enough bud. That was years ago. I had just returned from a rather disconcerting event. Life was sucking, me and the ex were distant, and then I had a ton of hate-spam going on all over the internet because of this website Only this past 2 months have I considered firing up a developers console, and when I did - I see it over the internet again. I'm not going to post links or what not. I am re-married, my spouse strongly encouraged me to once more do this site development because I talked about it constantly ( and did abit of bitching because of lack of payment ). WELL, I did it, heh.. it lasted 'bout 2 weeks before I started posting again, and really getting into it that guys just started being "mean" ( website posts, DDOS ). The server was running for 2 months before I moved mudrage to it, so I find it doubtful that my guild host services suddenly picked up a DDOS'er.

All things aside. Thanks for the clearing Fiz. And I honestly didn't know Drizzt was you. heh.. jerk =) Take care bud.

Kyndig:
Then I want to tell you Zeno. Get a dang antivirus program and lay off the weird sites bud. You're computer is doing some really funky things to poor unsecured servers.

Me:
That was years ago though, I hope it still isn't happening.

I think back then it was caused by Fasterfox.

MudMagic was the only site that mentioned the issue though, even though I'm a member on numerous other sites.

Fizban:
I'm assuming if you've been getting a lot of spam you aren't checking your email much so would you rather I email you or PM on-site. Just would like to speak to you without causing more drama for you.

Kyndig:
kk =) No worries. And apologies for pointing you out like that Zeno. I hope you (and others) enjoy the text gaming as much as I have in the past. If there's anything you need of the site, get it now. She is shutting down permanently Sat/Sun ( Sep 13/14 ) Please don't ask mudmagic or any host member to resurrect it - I have already made clear that my code is not for reuse or release in any way, fashion, or form. I gave them usage of the billing panel ( with note that it can not be released ) as well as the database and server back end that I designed for it ( and the email panel and linux console frame ) strictly for mudmagic use. That is my contribution to you folks. This stuff here I'm gonna tuck away on a cd. May blow the mothballs off it when I retire in 9 years. Till then…..
10 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
k not gonna paste all this stuff anymore. He says it's staying open until Sat/Sun.

[EDIT] Whoops I lied. Site shutting down in 50min.
10 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 7th comment:
Yeah this is funny, and its all Zeno, Crat, Drizzt (not Fizban lol) and Samsons doing hahaha. After reading some of it i looked to the calender to make sure it was not april fools or anything like that. Oh well, life goes on and most likely in a better direction as it leaves this site better positioned to take advantage of MudRages demise to grow and enhance its position in the mud community.
10 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
And it's gone. Remaining posts:

Marauder:
Uh.. Ok. I feel like I need to clear up a bit of things…

First off, IMC has nothing to do with any of this. None of them have any bearing on how the network is run, nor do they have much say in anything other than me asking for their opinions from time to time.

Secondly, Samson isn't even really a member of the community anymore. He's more a lurker popping up to answer a post or something every now and again. Alsherok is closed, AFKMud is at a Final release state and will receive no further releases, and SmaugMuds.org has been turned over to me for day to day operations.

Crat and Drizzt, well, I don't know either of them very well, but I don't see either of them doing something childish like launching a DDOS attack.

Also, I'd appreciate if you didn't make claims of the members of a network that I've never once seen you on. If you'd like to make a Generalization about the IMC network, please, make it a point to visit at least once before doing so. Thanks.

Me:
Don't worry about it. I know we've had issues in the past (and I still don't know the reason for them) but regardless of what I've said, I'd rather not see this shut down. The reasons should be obvious, it's a great part of the MUD community.

The Internet isn't kind though, and it seems first Samson and now you don't want to put up with it anymore.

I don't think anyone would be looking to obtain the source for the site/CMS, but most of us are trying to find a way to archive the entire site (forum posts, snippets, etc) before it goes down…

Vlad:
Well I am sorry things have come to this. Such is life I guess.

I really came to mudmagic for the free banner advertising, which is gone, and enjoyed the vote sites which will be gone now too. I have no complaints from the service but realistically for the price without those benefits anymore, I may have to look elsewhere.

Good Luck Kyndig

Kyndig:
ROFLMAO!!

YES!!

http://lpmuds.net/kyndig_shutdown.jpg

Thank you Cratylus!

Good night, and goodbye all. *bows*

Site shutting down in 50 mins.

http://mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cg...

Mabus:
I can feel you on the anger and bickering. It seems to have become the norm in quite a few of the MUD communities.

Thank you for the things you did do to help text-gaming.

Best of luck on down your road.
10 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 9th comment:
And it's down. I managed to download 249 MB of the repository because I started mass downloading as soon as I saw his 50 minute notice. If anyone would like me to send them it or would like to host it I am more than willing to share what I managed to download (I was working on Merc when it closed, I did get all the MudClients, Code Challenge Entries, AberMUD, all Custom Codebases, all Circle, All Copper, All DIKU (ie. just DIKU not all of its derivatives, Circle (and all derivatives), Copper, Ack, Crimson, Earth, Envy, and was working on GodWars.
10 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 10th comment:
Just submit the parts here that mudbytes does not already have, this is now the number 1 code resource i guess.
10 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 11th comment:
Fizban said:
And it's down. I managed to download 249 MB of the repository because I started mass downloading as soon as I saw his 50 minute notice. If anyone would like me to send them it or would like to host it I am more than willing to share what I managed to download (I was working on Merc when it closed, I did get all the MudClients, Code Challenge Entries, AberMUD, all Custom Codebases, all Circle, All Copper, All DIKU (ie. just DIKU not all of its derivatives, Circle (and all derivatives), Copper, Ack, Crimson, Earth, Envy, and was working on GodWars.

I managed to snag all of Smaug and SWR, Ack, Merc and the subservers directory of merc before It closed, I probably could have grabbed more, but I got distracted with the need to make a few more drinks at some point in there. And Scoyn was watching Death Race so I had to pay attention to that as well…
10 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 12th comment:
The_Fury said:
Oh well, life goes on and most likely in a better direction as it leaves this site better positioned to take advantage of MudRages demise to grow and enhance its position in the mud community.

I hope so. I have very little knowledge of Mudmagic myself other than seeing the front page a few times and being repulsed by the relatively poor format and design of the site, so I'm not exactly sure what size of a following it has (or had, rather), but it would be nice to see whatever populace it did have coalesce into the remaining sites.

On a side note, knowing little to nothing of Kyndig I'm a little bit at a loss of what to think in regards to Kyndig's tirade on TMC. Is that out of character for him, or is it actually somewhat close to what he would have been like on Mudmagic normally?
10 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 13th comment:
I think something or someone seriously got under his skin and he lost it. There is some rather vindictive people out there who take delight in making other peoples lives a misery, you only have to look at the stalker samson had who was emailing him every time someone mentioned his name in a thread anywhere, whose sole intent was to cause greif, it would seem to me that Kyndigs return to activity has been met with a similar response by someone wanting to make his life a misery. Its a rather sad state of affairs really. People need to get over themselves and move on and stop holding grudges and having pissing contests at every opportunity. It can be done, as some of us have done here on these very boards.
10 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 14th comment:
Kyndig didn't deserve a second chance, imo. After blanket banning a community just because we were associated with Samson, I don't really give a flying rats ass if he wanted to contribute again.

Yes, Lobotomy, that is a typical Kyndig response. And was exactly the way he would handle issues on MudMagic. And we'll never know how he would have handled things on MudRage since he got one taste of a DDOS attack and decided we were all mean-spirited chest beaters and didn't want his services.

And Someone with a TMC account should inform him that the easiest way to give anyone that wants the repository stuff would be to put it on a temporary page where mudrage used to be that has a link that says "click here to download the repository" Leave it up a week or two and then take it down.

I for one am glad Kyndig is leaving. That's one less childish individual to plague the community which is obviously more adult like nowadays since everyone seems to want to move past their issues and get along. Kyndig however didn't see things this way, so I'm not going to extend an olive branch in his direction either. He's given us the proverbial one-fingered salute, even if I am a little impressed that he's willing to give a copy of the repository to us.
10 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 15th comment:
Well. Wow. What can I say except "saw this coming"?

Honestly, I long ago stopped caring about what he did to me or the things he used to say, and from continued correspondence with people, what he ha continued to say behind my back to potential customers. My main concern for some time now was how he'd been taking his grudge with me out on innocent users just because they happened to choose to host their muds with me. I don't know, but when it comes to business, I have a real problem with people who play dirty rumor mongering games behind your back with people who had nothing to do with what was a personal issue.

All that withstanding, the repository at mudmagic/mudrage/whatever was a substantial archive of the hobby as a whole. I can't begin to count how much stuff was there that might well simply be lost now. I see that some of you guys snagged what you could, which is great. There's probably a good sized overlap of what he had vs what's here, but I'd suggest contributing as much of it as possible here and anywhere else it's applicable. A single point of failure right now would be a really bad bad thing, but I think having a bunch of stuff scattered at random where nobody can find it would be even worse.

The_Fury said:
There is some rather vindictive people out there who take delight in making other peoples lives a misery, you only have to look at the stalker samson had who was emailing him every time someone mentioned his name in a thread anywhere, whose sole intent was to cause greif, it would seem to me that Kyndigs return to activity has been met with a similar response by someone wanting to make his life a misery.

FYI - said stalker is still stalking. I just got another one today with a quote lifted from this thread where they I suppose were trying to incite a response because all it said was I was a hacker and launched a DDOS against Kyndig. As if.

I don't doubt that something like this would have driven him over the edge. I mean come on. A divorce that appears to have been quite messy. Nearly everyone attacking him at every opportunity over things that should have been dead and buried. He's done multiple tours in Iraq. And then as soon as he decides to revive the site he ran before under a new banner, some jackass comes along and launches a DDOS against it? Can you say stress? And I'm talking about a lot more than just the shitty ass few months I've been having too. Frankly I wouldn't doubt it if he's completely given up on the whole thing now. I know I came pretty damn close to simply closing everything down for good and walking away forever but apparently Kayle wouldn't allow it :)

Anyway. I guess all I'm saying is don't give the guy such a hard time about it. He's obviously got some shit he needs to work out. Let him go work it out in peace.
10 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 16th comment:
Samson said:
Anyway. I guess all I'm saying is don't give the guy such a hard time about it. He's obviously got some shit he needs to work out. Let him go work it out in peace.

I agree. It's unfortunate that things had to end the way they have, however perhaps in the future we'll see an improvement in his attitude as a result of no longer being involved with Mudmagic; i.e, this will give him a good chance to calm down and (re?)gain some focus and clarity.
10 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 17th comment:
Of course I wasn't going to let you do something stupid like close everything down and walk away. That would have been.. well.. Stupid.
10 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 18th comment:
Samson said:

Wise words and something that he surely needs. On a side note Kyndig did say he was willing to pass over the repository to someone, 3.5 gigs worth there, im not sure about how anyone would go about contacting him, but if someone can receive that sort of data and merge it here it would be good to not have lost all of that code to the ether.
10 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 19th comment:
Well from what I've been told already, that offer was extended in the form of an email. I have the ability to receive one that large but I seriously doubt he'd be willing to pass things my way since it seems I was still on his uber-bad list. I know I've not been able to contact him in recent weeks or months because I have tried but the mails have always bounced indicating a filter is rejecting them outright. Despite my being much less involved in things these days I think it would be an even greater shame to watch all that code just vanish in a flash.
10 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 20th comment:
Well, anyone here with a TMC account can feel free to point out to Kyndig that he can send the code repository archive to kayle@smaugmuds.org if he so chooses. I'm more than willing to take the repository off his hands, but I'm not making a TMC account just to say so. So, Uh. someone pass that along for me?
0.0/120