30 Aug, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I decided to start a thread on suggestions IRT the code repository rather than PM every moderator. That way it's open and any user can air concerns or suggestions about them.

1) I suggest deleting diku-linux.tar.gz and dikumud.zip from the DikuMUD directory. These are identical to diku-gamma.tar.gz and their presence may be confusing.

2) I also suggest deleting diku-alfa.tar.gz. This source is broken. It was apparently created from an OS/2 or Warp system and has 8.3 style filenames and OS/2 EOF markers. I will upload the original pristine diku-alfa.tar.gz. I had tried earlier but I got a file name collision.
30 Aug, 2006, Asylumius wrote in the 2nd comment:
diku-alfa.tar.gz has been zapped.
30 Aug, 2006, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Both duplicates of diku-gamma have been removed.

I also have plans to submit copies of these bases which have been cleaned up for gcc4. IMC2 will not be included in these. If anyone has an objection to my doing this, it would be a good idea to speak up before any time is spent packaging and uploading them.
30 Aug, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 4th comment:
I don't have any objection, EVEN if you include IMC in your mods. My only earlier objection on that other site was the removal of the original muds sources.

That is you to say you do plan on leaving the original sources, right?
30 Aug, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
What's the preference for upload file format? Some of the latest Tiny/Mush/Mux code is being released in all three formats tar/bzip2, winzip, and tar/gzip formats. I myself release my windows/linux compatable ports in both tar/gzip and winzip format. I believe I uploaded most as tar.gz as Winzip apparently can handle it.
30 Aug, 2006, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Yes. We plan to keep the original sources.
31 Aug, 2006, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
I don't see any reason not to include IMC in it, but if you feel that it's safer to leave that to just those who choose SmaugFUSS, then I have no objections.

As for deleting the duplications, while that's probably a good thing overall, but I do have to wonder if there is any way of verifying that the tar'd versions are Windows compatible too? It'd be a shame to force new potential admins into thinking we're all so anti-windows that cygwin seems like even it's not a real option since they can't untar the distributions without linux or major hassle. (I tried the other day to find a windows version of tar and found that while there are actually several out there, they suck royally.)

As for preference, personally it makes little difference to me as I have a linux box and a windows box on my desk and use them both regularly, though I tend to use the windows machine mainly for M$ Office stuff and the linux machine for pretty much everything else. But I also can only speak for myself. While I imagine that most of us are using linux or some environment like cygwin, I'm not sure how tar works under cygwin and it's relatives since I don't use them.
31 Aug, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
winzip can open .tar
31 Aug, 2006, Justice wrote in the 9th comment:
Winzip doesn't have any issues that I've noticed with opening gziped and tarred files. It's been so long that I can't remember when I first did it, had to be mid-90's. Nor does the unzip command seem to have any issues opening a winzip file on linux.

Since I work primarily for MS based firms, it's not an option for me. I've had to work from both ends as I prefer to work with my code offline and upload the modified files.
31 Aug, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 10th comment:
kiasyn said:
winzip can open .tar

Yes it do but I found a problem. If you have the CRLF conversion option set, and last I checked it was the default, then all files will have LF's converted to CRLF's. This isn't a problem for sources and makefiles. It can be a problem for data files whether the be binary or not. That means Diku zone/area files, Mush/Mux/MOO/Cold databases , etc. have CRLF's which in many cases the code itself is dependent on LF. Not a big problem as you just switch it off.

Once you have it off, you're set and have no problems. It may no longer be the default as I changed it years ago. :-P
31 Aug, 2006, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Nice pointer Tyche, that's the kind of little detail that could drive a newbie admin completely crazy trying to figure out what's gone wrong.
31 Aug, 2006, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
Even if you happen to forget to toggle that option, you can still correct the files if your editor allows you to convert between Windows and Unix file formats.
01 Sep, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 13th comment:
The software in tiny/muck/tinymuck-1.2-r10.tar.gz I named the same as the filename, "tinymuck-1.2-r10.tar.gz". It was one of my first uploads. It should probably sport the name, "TinyMuck 1.2 (port)" so there is no confusion with the original. Sorry my mistake.

Edit: Thanks. :-)
09 Sep, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 14th comment:
Please create a directory under /tiny/mush and /tiny/muck for code.

I'd suggest /tiny/mush/mushcode and /tiny/muck/mufcode

Also could you create a directory under /tiny for robot code. Like /tiny/robots or something.
09 Sep, 2006, Davion wrote in the 15th comment:
Done and done!
0.0/15