21 Aug, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
It seems that Scott Fairchild has decided to open source Portal GT client. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would you use the client? Have you used the client? Would anyone use the code to make a propriety client, or implement the MIP protocol into their games.

I used portal pretty much exclusively up until i started to develop in linux, when i started using Kmuddy. With eldhamud code having some level of MIP implemented at various times. MIP was an easy proposition from someone like myself who did not really have much of an understanding of coding to install and to extend its functionality throughout the code, unlike mxp which i still dont understand. Trouble was no one really used Portal Client, not even my staff who knew all the benefits of doing so.

I have been looking at different options for clients for some time, I looked at having Matt Adcock make some major extensions to FMud even to the point of making it a stand alone application, which would have cost a couple of hundred bucks, Ultra Cheep for what i was getting mind you, and i would recommend Matt to anyone who wants some extensions made to their FMud client. I looked at a client by the people who made BatMUD client, who will make a propriety client simular to Batclient for something like $30K certainly not within the budget i set for the project and i was also amazed by what Nick and Co are doing with Mushclient and all the Aardwolf plugins that can be used by anyone.

And after looking into all the options Portal is about to become OS and i will be able to modernize the interface and make some other changes and patch back in the very complete implementation of MIP that i removed from my code a few weeks back. So is anyone else excited at this news or am I the only one.
21 Aug, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 2nd comment:
I wouldn't say I was excited, but I am interested. I have been pondering a game-specific client that would add features. When the source is released I am planning on taking a look at it, and seeing if it can be modified to what I envision.
22 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 3rd comment:
I used Portal for quite a long time and still do occasionally for mapping out areas when I build. The only problem I have with it is the inability to run many different tabs at once like MUSHClient. Other than that, the client's perfect to me. The built-in MUD list is a big bonus.
22 Aug, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 4th comment:
Zenn said:
The only problem I have with it is the inability to run many different tabs at once like MUSHClient.

You know, thats one thing i have never had an issue with, I will agree that the 2nd connection method it uses is horrid, but you can always just open another copy of the program if needed. There is a simple hack thats given in the help files that tells you how to open 2 copies of the program. I generally only have 2 connections going at most at anytime, my imm account and a test account, but i guess for some that not being able to have 4 or more muds open at one time could be an issue.
22 Aug, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
The_Fury said:
I generally only have 2 connections going at most at anytime, my imm account and a test account, but i guess for some that not being able to have 4 or more muds open at one time could be an issue.

Personally, I rarely have less than two connections going at a given time and often quite a few more than that as I stay connected continuously to my live mud and my dev port and often log on with a test character or two on my dev port as well, and that's not counting if someone asks me to come visit their mud or I want to play on a mud (mine or otherwise) either, so it sounds like that client wouldn't work very well for me.
22 Aug, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
It certainly wouldn't work well for me.

I generally have at LEAST 4 open windows at a time.
Here's what I currently have open:
MW
MWDev
Outlaw[UV]
Bladesinger[UV]
Battlemage[UV]
Ilmryn{Berserker}[UV]

Other windows not currently open but could be:
20 other [UV] windows (Explained lower.)
Kayle[UVBuild] (If I'm helping them with some code related issues)
FUSSTest (if I'm working on it)
AvP (If I'm looking to play in a full PvP environment.)

Now, The reason I have so many windows for UV. Well, let's see.. I have two 9 character crews (tank, battlemage, 7 hitters), with an alternate set of 7 I can swap out for the hitters in one of the crews, plus 5 supplemental characters to fill in for particularly difficult fights. On UV, you're allowed to have up to 10 connections active at a time, and there are a couple of areas where you need 2 or 3 people with 10 characters each just to survive getting through it to the "boss" at the end. And then factor in, that there isn't really an excess of players in the community, and we end up needing our crews for simple runs that we'd normally go on with some friends.

But I think this clearly illustrates that a client that doesn't allow for multiple connections just wouldn't work for me. So I'll stick to zMUD for now. :P
23 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 7th comment:
At this very moment, I have open..

Legends of the Jedi MUD..
Galactic Conquest (mine)..
Talon..
Imperian..

Occasionally I'll have around 5-7 connections going. Portal was great back in the days where I exclusively played Akanbar. But not anymore :-P
23 Aug, 2008, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
Zenn said:
Portal was great back in the days where I exclusively played Akanbar.

See, now for a client that doesn't easily support more than two concurrent connections like that, it's probably terrific for your typical player but far from ideal for most MUD staff members. :shrug:
23 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 9th comment:
Is there anyone who's just a normal -player- on here..?
23 Aug, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
Zenn said:
Is there anyone who's just a normal -player- on here..?

In fairness, why would there be? Not to sound elitist, but what sort of discussions or software do we offer here that a regular non-mud-staff player would be interested in other than possibly our mud listings or (maybe) the info about imc neither of which call for ever touching the forums themselves?
11 Sep, 2008, Tensor wrote in the 11th comment:
Yeah, multi-tabbing was a really popular feature, but the architecture didn't allow it unfortunately. Me, I'm a one char kinda guy, so I probably subconsciously forced my play style into the development. Sorry bout that :)

Anyway, if you get one good thing from the OS into yours or any other client, more power to you. Anything to help facilitate mudding is good in my eyes.

Scott
0.0/11