22 May, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Caius said:
Yes, I have a panel that can be viewed in a browser. It shows statistics like memory usage, free disk space, bandwidth usage, etc. This isn't a service that runs on your VPS, so it takes no additional resources.

Same with Quantact.com

If you were curious, this is what I get for $9.99:

128mb RAM burstable up to 256mb
5gb disk space
128gb bandwidth
24/7 helpdesk
Reverse DNS
No setup fee
Real root access
Quantact Control Panel
23 May, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 22nd comment:
I had a linode.com account for a while and was quite satisfied.

Very good deal for the ram you get.

They're unmanaged but plenty of help seems to be available between their forum/irc.
23 May, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 23rd comment:
Preface: I think Godaddy are generally a bunch of shady bastards who don't care about their customers (in general) and are just out to beat a few dollars out of us, and I question their morals.

That said, we use Godaddy where I work for our domains, SSL, and dedicated hosting. As much as I hate to say it, it's all been very positive. Excellent uptime. Powerful, useful web based controls for the various features and account management. Decent customer service for a company of it's size.

If you're looking for solid, reliable hosting/domains/email/etc, and you're more worried about not having a "fast one" pulled or huge technical problems than you are about some of the gripes I've heard about Godaddy, it's not a bad choice.

I won't straight up recommend them, but we do use them at work and I haven't found anything to complain about yet in 1 1/2 years.
24 May, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 24th comment:
I have an Eapps Hosting standard account, which costs US $10 a month

centos 5.1
160 meg ram
1.6 gig disk
20 gig data
Virtuoso control panel

The things that sold me on them tho as a host provider was you get a REAL service level agreement and 27/7 phone/email/chat support with the phone support being Toll Free Worldwide. The support that this service offers has been nothing but amazing. In the 6+ months i have used this service I have logged 3 tickets with support, all low priority things, the first was dealt with within the hour, the 2nd within a few hours and the last one within about 10 minuites of the automated system logging my email into the ticket system. All in all i am totally satisfied with Eapps and would recomend them to anyone wanting a Vps.

Do you need to be Linux Savy to run a VPS? No anyone with no real NIX experience could manage to run one of these things by themselves, Eapps have a huge range of tutorials and how to's on the help site wich can take you through most things that you will ever need to do, and the web panel is intuitive enough that you can work out how most things are done, the installation of software can be doen from the panel for most things also.

I should also add i have had 141 days uptime, i think thats as long as i have had the server LOL.
24 May, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 25th comment:
<sarcasm>Wait, there's 27 hours in a day now?! Hot! I might actually be able to code and deal with real life now! Thanks Eldhamud! You've made my year!! </sarcasm>
24 May, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 26th comment:
LOL yeah i just saw that, thanks for pointing out my obvious typo.
24 May, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 27th comment:
Oh if only there really was an extra 3 hours a day… *sigh* One can dream I guess.
24 May, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 28th comment:
An extra 3 hours a day might give me some time to spend with my wife. Oh the humanity of it.
15 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 29th comment:
Tommi said:
I have an Eapps Hosting standard account, which costs US $10 a month

centos 5.1
160 meg ram
1.6 gig disk
20 gig data
Virtuoso control panel

The things that sold me on them tho as a host provider was you get a REAL service level agreement and 27/7 phone/email/chat support with the phone support being Toll Free Worldwide. The support that this service offers has been nothing but amazing. In the 6+ months i have used this service I have logged 3 tickets with support, all low priority things, the first was dealt with within the hour, the 2nd within a few hours and the last one within about 10 minuites of the automated system logging my email into the ticket system. All in all i am totally satisfied with Eapps and would recomend them to anyone wanting a Vps.

Do you need to be Linux Savy to run a VPS? No anyone with no real NIX experience could manage to run one of these things by themselves, Eapps have a huge range of tutorials and how to's on the help site wich can take you through most things that you will ever need to do, and the web panel is intuitive enough that you can work out how most things are done, the installation of software can be doen from the panel for most things also.

I should also add i have had 141 days uptime, i think thats as long as i have had the server LOL.

How did they deal with ports?
15 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 30th comment:
Each vps sits behind their main firewall, so if you require extra ports to be opened then all you have to do is email them to have them opened. They have some existing ports opened 8000, 8001, 8002 i believe, which is why i changed to port 8000 when i started hosting there.

I am really happy with the quality of service from eapps. There has been upgrades to the control panel in the last few weeks to add new features, they have also upgraded from centos 4 to centos 5, and offered anyone on a centos4 vps a free upgrade to centos 5, giving them the new vps and 2 weeks to transfer over all your data. I have been thinking of taking them up on the offer, tho im not real sure about how to go about it.

They also have spam filtering prior to mail hitting your mail server, which means you dont need to run spamassassin and smvilter on your server which reduces your memory overhead by a long way.

All in all their service is awesome, with minimal downtime for upgrades to which your given 2 weeks notice, response times for service issues are guaranteed in the service level agreement and in my own experience they are much much faster then the quoted times.
15 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 31st comment:
I tried emailing them to open a port, and they told me I have to pay an extra $10 a month for a "custom firewall".
16 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 32nd comment:
Below is what i read on the support forums, which is where im taking my info from. $10 a month seems rather steep to have a specific port open, can you make do with one of these 3 ports instead?
Hi,

You are correct, we have a firewall protecting all our network.
If you require any other non-standard port to be open you should submit a ticket at support.eapps.com to get more details about this.

Some non standard ports that should be open are: 8000, 8082, 8083
16 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 33rd comment:
For anyone else who has a different VPS (Davion, etc) is this what you have to do for more ports? Pay an extra fee?
16 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 34th comment:
Paying for extra ports is ridiculous. If you have your own machine (virtual or not), then by Jove it's your machine and you should be able to use whatever ports you want for free.

EDIT:
in case it wasn't clear, that means that on our virtual host, we can do whatever we want in terms of ports, etc. It is, for all intents and purposes, a machine we control entirely, connected directly to the Internet, and we set up the firewall however we please.
16 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 35th comment:
I have access to iptables on eApps, but this is what they said about the ports:
There are two levels of firewall settings protecting your virtual private server. The first is our large Cisco firewalls. All network traffic goes through these firewalls. There is a default setting for these firewalls. Very few customers require any changes to these settings. If there are changes required (open or close ports), these settings become part of the exception settings in these devices. These settings must be taken into account for all future activities regarding the firewalls in the future. This is a billable service.

The second level of firewall is IP tables. You have full control over IP tables on your virtual server and can use it to close any ports you would like and there is no charge.
16 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 36th comment:
Well, like I said, I think that is ridiculous and bogus. I would never sign up with a VPS that charged me to open ports.
17 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 37th comment:
Zeno said:
For anyone else who has a different VPS (Davion, etc) is this what you have to do for more ports? Pay an extra fee?

I don't think Davion has to pay extra for any of the ports that are open on the VPS. It's exactly as David says, a "machine" under our control to more or less do as we please. Including opening up extra ports if we want them. Though I don't think the firewall defaults to blocking any of them anyway.
17 Jun, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 38th comment:
Zeno said:

If you mean like having 4 MUDs running on different ports at the same time, then no. I just set them up and it works.
17 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 39th comment:
So yeah, got my money back from eApps. :P
17 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 40th comment:
Zeno said:
So yeah, got my money back from eApps. :P

You know, thats pretty dumb of them to be looking for 10 a month for what really amounts to adding a few entries into the firewall tables. I can understand a one off fee for such a thing but a monthly charge is just plain stupid.

For someone like myself, running a single game or 3 where port numbers are not critical, they still offer great service. I like the fact that i am behind their corporate firewall, as i know very little about iptables and how to set them up to work right. Its a layer of protection that i might not otherways have if i had to set up iptables on my own. Just the same as all mail is routed through postini before hitting my mail server, I dont have much need then to run spamassassin which is a huge drain on resources.

I am sorry that they didnt work out for you Zeno, Its stupid things like this that put brilliant business back into the realms of run of the mill, as they are unwilling to cater for the 1%
20.0/44