22 May, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Hades Kane:
If anything, I habitually help my competition rather than what most people would do. Tell me I'm somehow doing all of that for some sort of personal gain and keep a straight face.

Actually what you do makes good business sense. Helping your competitors helps to broaden the market, the more people interested in your genera the greater chances of your success. Protectionist self serving ways will only ever stifle and fragment the community, which in turn means less people for you to draw on.
22 May, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 42nd comment:
Tommi said:
Hades Kane:
If anything, I habitually help my competition rather than what most people would do. Tell me I'm somehow doing all of that for some sort of personal gain and keep a straight face.

Actually what you do makes good business sense. Helping your competitors helps to broaden the market, the more people interested in your genera the greater chances of your success. Protectionist self serving ways will only ever stifle and fragment the community, which in turn means less people for you to draw on.

Yeah, I guess that's a good way to look at it :)
02 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 43rd comment:
I'm back again just to check up. No news on hex to text yet?

Ah well, I'm going to try another codebase. CircleMUD I think has had it.
We'll see about Smaug
02 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 44th comment:
I don't know if there's a direct conversion from the binary format or not, but there is an ASCII pfiles snippet out there somewhere for Circle.
04 Jun, 2008, Darkness wrote in the 45th comment:
Samson said:
I don't know if there's a direct conversion from the binary format or not, but there is an ASCII pfiles snippet out there somewhere for Circle.

I'm not aware of a direct conversion either, but you are correct, there are many ASCII snippets out there for Circle.

Magus said:
CircleMUD I think has had it.

Definitely not! And I know I'm not the only one here that'll say the same. EmpireMUD, maybe so, but Circle continues on.
tbaMUD is the best example of this, although CWG (circle with goodies) is also a very good example.

Having said that, I've never even looked at the EmpireMUD code, but if it's got links to Circle, then the forums of both the websites above may definitely help you out in terms of other code, but definitely in terms of ASCII pfiles.

I can't find a direct link to a snippet for you atm, but if need be, I'll see what I can do to find one for you.
04 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 46th comment:
There 'may' be converters for CircleMUD from binary to ASCII, but I've never looked for one before. Somehow I doubt it though because I know on TBA we performed a playerwipe in December of 2006 when we converted from binary pfiles to ASCII pfiles before the first release of it as a codebase.
04 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 47th comment:
I could be mistaken Darkness, but I don't think when Magus stated, "I think CircleMUD has had it", he meant they've had ASCII pfiles for a while (which they haven't), and not that it's had it in the sense that the codebase is dead and no longer used. Though if that was what he actually meant..then yeah I politely disagree, tbaMUD has had over 3500 downloads in the last year and a half. (Downloads are counted from this site, mudmagic.com, and cwg.lazuras.org but not tbamud.com itself due to there being no tick counter to keep track of downloads that is visible on tbamud.com).
04 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 48th comment:
Darkness said:
I can't find a direct link to a snippet for you atm, but if need be, I'll see what I can do to find one for you.

Thanks for the research, Darkness. Anything helps at this point.
04 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 49th comment:
I'm trying to do it over in smaug currently, but it's going to take an EPIC amount of coding. I'm looking for the FearMUD base because it's the closest thing resembling EmpireMUD in smaug… or so I'm told.

Any thoughts/suggestions I would be grateful for.

This does not mean stop looking, Darkness, if you can happen to find the converter then I'll definately go back to circle.
04 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 50th comment:
Convertor meaning to change existing pfiles, or a patch that would still require a pwipe? Because here's the patch: http://cwg.lazuras.org/modules.php?name=...
04 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 51st comment:
Magus, please allow me to make the same request I make of all people with big images in their sig: please make your sig image smaller. :wink:
04 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 52nd comment:
I'm looking for the FearMUD

http://www.rafermand.com/
05 Jun, 2008, Darkness wrote in the 53rd comment:
Fizban said:
I could be mistaken Darkness, but I don't think when Magus stated, "I think CircleMUD has had it", he meant they've had ASCII pfiles for a while (which they haven't), and not that it's had it in the sense that the codebase is dead and no longer used.

Fair enough ;) It was only because he mentioned directly before that about trying another codebase.

Meanwhile, in terms of the converter, I've found something that may help to start with here.
I'm at work, so I can't go through the code and try to work out what's wrong with the version that's being posted, and I'm also quite rusty.
As well, this would likely be for an older version of ASCII pfiles.

The question I have, however, is if you're looking for a new codebase, then what's the difference between starting on a new codebase, and starting with new ASCII pfiles?

Having asked that question (and realising that what I'm looking at it probably the wrong thing), I'm going to assume that Fizban was right, and the patch is what you're looking for.
In which case, thanks to Fizban ;)
05 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 54th comment:
well, everything on the empireMUD codebase is saved, I said that circle has -had- it, meaning that like the codebase was done :ghostface:, or I was done with the codebase due to frustration :mad:, and wanted to try something else. Unfortunately, I'm just not a coder. Nor am I a mathematician. Nor a politician :unclesam:.

The thing with the pfiles was that I wanted them to just make sense. Darkness was on the right path only because I have all the pfiles saved and I would regret doing a pwipe as Fizban suggested with the patch, but that will be used as needed and would be considered a last resort measure. I don't want my one devoted player losing everything she worked hard to get because of the change, you know?

So in essence I thank you both. If one does not work, then I will be forced to use the other. If LOTJ can pwipe without complaints, then so can I just this once I guess ;)
05 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 55th comment:
If you have a relatively small # of players and can re-advance them manually by editing the pfiles once ASCII or using set in-game you can always stat file the players and use show rent to see their eq and then update them back after the change.
06 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 56th comment:
We'll see. Again Fiz, thanks for your help. You too, Darkness

I'll test the new thing out and we'll work from there
06 Jun, 2008, Magus wrote in the 57th comment:
aww hell, I give up, at least for tonight. It's like 4 am. The patch was too confusing. I tried the manual addition of the proper directories since it is not an original stock but I must be a total dumbass because I'm not following it. I tried it all, I tried moving the patch to the lib and the bin folder, into the empiremud folder, Of course, I don't have a circle-3.1 directory like the readme asks for, so naturally I went to the other section that says "If you are converting from the binary player file, change to the lib/ directory and type '..bin/plrtoascii etc/players'. This will build the new ASCII player files and index.

Yeah right.
-bash: ../bin/plrtoascii etc/players: No such file or directory
OWNED
07 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 58th comment:
Hmm, I think ..bin/plrtoascii etc/players should be ../bin/plrtoascii/etc/players
07 Jun, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 59th comment:
No. I would assume ../bin/plrtoascii is an executable that converts the players to ascii format.
07 Jun, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 60th comment:
Err yeah, that makes a lot more sense, I'm assuming etc/players is where the old binary pfiles are? (I know on the more modern releases their in lib/plrfiles)
40.0/65